Tuesday 4 May 2010

Coffee time

I've long admired the many knitted cafetiere and mug cosies on the web, and thought about having a go at one. Inspiration struck the other day while I was sipping on my tepid coffee, and here's the result...




Mine is knit in Debbie Bliss Luxury Tweed Chunky (it's a sample skein that has been lurking about the shop calling to me for quite some time!), but it would also work in Donegal Tweed Chunky. I decided to use smaller needles than suggested on the ball band to give a stiffer texture and a nice dense fabric for keeping the heat in.


Chunky Cafetiere Cosy

1 hank Debbie Bliss Luxury Tweed Chunky or 1 hank Debbie Bliss Donegal Tweed Chunky
6mm needles, 3 large buttons

Fits a standard size cafetiere, finished measurements 14cm x 30cm plus loops. Cast on more stitches for extra width or knit rows to add length.

  • Cast on 20St and knit 6 rows garter st (knit every row).
  • Starting with a knit row, knit 6 rows stockinette st (knitting the first and last 3st on eery row), then knit 6 rows garter st.
  • Repeat the last 12 rows 4 more times.
  • Knit 2 more rows garter stitch then cast off.

  • For the button loops (make 3): cast on 16 st then cast them off again.
  • Hold the ends of the button loop together and sew to the cast off edge of the cosy, spacing them to avoid the handles of your cafetiere.
  • Sew the buttons in the corresponding places on the oppposite end of the cosy.
  • Sew in the ends and put the kettle on!

3 comments:

Julie said...

Love it!! I'm a big fan of french presses, and they look so charming when in a cozy!

James said...

I made one! Thanks for the pattern. I used Rowan Purelife chunky in a toffee colour using 6.5 mm needles and it fit my coffee pot perfectly. I used much smaller buttons so I plaited some wool for the button loops. Yours looks great!

James said...

I made one! Thanks for the pattern. I used Rowan Purelife chunky in a toffee colour using 6.5 mm needles and it fit my coffee pot perfectly. I used much smaller buttons so I plaited some wool for the button loops. Yours looks great!