Tuesday 10 March 2009

Sock it!

I've never knitted socks before but I decided to give it a go after we got some yummy new sock yarn in stock at Twist. I wanted to try out their basic sock pattern so that I can help out when customers ask about it, and was very pleasantly surprised. I had visions of endless tiny tiny rows on tiny tiny needles, but they actually grew reasonably quickly, and the appearence of a new colour to form a stripe as you knit is strangely compelling! I'm very happy that the stripes match up so nicely on each sock, but that's more of a fluke than anything that the balls both started in the same place.



Hand knitted socks always look a bit weird to me when they're not on the foot. I was worried about the bulky looking square heel and didn't think it would be very comfortable, but I take it all back, they're really comfortable and cosy. I want more! I'm all fired up to knit more socks after this initial success so I have gathered a good sized stash of sock yarn to take down to London with me next week. Watch this space...

4 comments:

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

Oh, noes, the sockies have gotten to you, too! Your socks look great, and I love how they match each other.

Andy said...

ummm looks like they might be itchy.. The socks my Gran used to make me always were! :P

Manoute said...

Another WIP you didn't mentionned...I thought it was weird that you faved all these socks on Ravelry...now I understand...;o)
They look fantastic, well done you!

Louise said...

Hi Andy - sock yarn has improved a great deal since those days, no fear of itchy wool any more! A few trips through the washing machine helps the softening as well, washed mine last night and they came out very nicely.