Tuesday 8 January 2008

spicy sort out





When I came home from the Christmas hols, Jane and I spent an afternoon sorting through and amalgamating our herbs and spices, together with those we inherited when Abdallah and Rebecca left Dundee. Oh my goodness, I don't think we need to buy any herbs or spices for at least 5 years! A good amount was thrown away (longevity award going to a 12 1/2 year old vintage of garam masala), and many things were combined.





Barry also did rather well from the session because we were able to put together a fairly comprehensive herbs and spices box containing some of everything we had in duplicate or more (which was most things!). The winner of the multiple pots award goes to mustard - FIFTEEN types of mustard were all open and in various states of completion.






Also there were 12 packets of cinnamon if you count both ground and sticks together...




I managed to bodge and extra shelf in two of the kitchen cupboards, so now our newly sorted and labelled collection had a new home too. It's only taken me 3 years to get around to it ;)

1 comment:

Andy said...

Haha 12 year old garam masala! Why did you throw it away..! I bet it would have tasted great.. I think you need to have a big meat eating festival to get through all that mustard.. (or make a few liters of Jane's amazing honey mustard salad dressing)