Friday 28 September 2007

Secret knitting, and new techniques

This week it has really started to to get cold and dark, and my urge to knit lots of nice winter things has definitely kicked in. It's also the time of year to get going on knitted Christmas pressies too. Can't post the pics or the recipients might see (I'm bursting to tell already, this is going to be hard!). That's my excuse for a few months of sparse knitting posts anyway.

I came across an interesting technique while I was getting ready to start new projects - something I think Andy will particularly like ;) It's all about how to knit in the round without double pointed needles. Circular needles are good if you're doing a round project with a larger diameter (like the body of the SKB), but for smaller stuff like hats and sleeves and beginning at the center of a flat circle, you'd usually start on several double pointed needles. Well I have discovered some funky alternative methods with circular needles that allow you to do small diameter projects without having to buy a set of matching double pointeds. I don't think I'd like to do a whole sleeve or hat like this, but it's an excellent way of getting started on something that starts small later progresses to circular needles.
It's one of those things that would sound very complicated written down, but it's actually not too bad. Have a look at these v handy vids to get the idea, I'm having a go at 'magic loop knitting' right now!...

1 comment:

Andy said...

Secret knitting! Bah..! I shall inform the power that be at PPU-HQ and have them install knit detection algorithms to the sensors that already detect illegal office hours use of computers or not having an ice bucket on your bench at all times...

In other news I posted 3 copies of the wretched thesis up to Dundee today.. Yipeee!